Friday, May 4, 2012

Forgiveness happens in an instant

I didn't know that I needed to forgive this, but there it was in the supermarket. The Billy Joel song "For the Longest Time" started to play. When my first husband was deciding whether to stay or leave me, well over 20 years ago, one night he played me this song. A little while later he decided to leave the marriage. After that until this day I really couldn't listen to that song anymore.

In the supermarket I immediately felt strong emotions welling up in my stomach. And in the same moment I realized in an instant that I better forgive this once and for all so that I can enjoy the song again.

Now I've done a lot of forgiveness toward my ex-husband, toward my feelings about the experience of that marriage and it's ending, but I guess I had not forgiven my thoughts about Billy Joel.

In one instant I decided to forgive every residual thought or feeling that I had about the night my ex-husband played me this song. And it was done. All feelings and thoughts were gone. And I began to happily sing, walking down the market aisles, for the longest time.

1 comment: